September 3, 2014

ON GROWING OLD. . . .

On growing old. . .

July 4, 2014 at 8:06am
The sun rises over the eastern mountains and sends it golden rays through the boughs of a big cottonwood tree out in back of my house.
That golden light illuminates my bedroom window and I waken to its glow. A rush of joy fills me and I leap up to raise the shade and look out upon the sunrise.   Just seeing is not enough and I want to run for my camera to record this moment.   
But often these days I  awaken to contemplate my life now as AN OLD PERSON.   A cold dread grips me and my stomach clenches and I am filled with fear and trepidation.
It happened this morning.   The years lay heavy upon me.  I feel anxious but cannot say why.  
Sunshine spilled across my bed and as I lay contemplating my condition .. . . . .then these words flashed into my mind:
      THROUGH MANY DANGERS, TOILS AND SNARES,  I HAVE ALREADY COME!
          'TIS GRACE THAT BROUGHT ME SAFE THUS FAR,
              AND GRACE WILL LEAD ME HOME!
                        
 AMAZING GRACE!   

Betty L. Owen 2014  (Notes)

No comments: